Tuesday, October 30, 2012

In Which Surviving Humans Are Worse Than Zombies

Now that I've spent about a week playing DayZ I feel comfortable enough with it to publish a few observations. Here are my conclusions thus far:
  • DayZ is fun when played with friends, okay solo, and downright evil with strangers.
  • This isn't really a game so much as it is a toy. There is no "win" objective or competitive goal. It's even less directed than EVE.
My first character stumbled through dozens of empty houses, sneaking around and trying to evade zombies all the while. Eventually I located an open barn which contained a number of canned food and soda items to quench my hunger and thirst. In the loft I located my first weapon: a Lee Enfield rifle with three full magazines. Awesome!

I shot a few zombies to see how the gunplay works. It's fun, but guns are loud and attract attention. I expected zombies to show up and investigate the noise - and they did - but so did other players.

Over the radio I heard some chatter about a group of guys driving around in a "party bus." They sounded friendly, so I tracked down the bus by following its engine noise and approached cautiously. Unfortunately they were being tracked by a sniper in a ghillie suit. This uncouth player shot one of the party-goers and stole his ATV. At the time I was hidden in the bushes less than 100 meters away from the murderer, so I gritted my teeth and aimed down my sights at him. I opened fire and put two shots in the killer's head. His body spouted blood and went down like a sack of bricks, then disappeared as if by magic. It seems the player logged off suddenly. I retreated deep into the woods to dodge the impending zombie investigation.

About two minutes later the "dead" player suddenly appeared again, right in front of my view. He shot me twice before I could react and my character fell down, dead.

I don't know his lame loggofski exploit so I had to start a new character. Anyway, this should tell you the number one rule of DayZ if nothing else: trust nothing. Don't trust other players, don't trust the game's feedback, and by golly confirm your kills.

No comments:

Post a Comment