Saturday, September 1, 2012

Weekly Report - 08/31/2012

This has been another light week in terms of gaming progress. I've only spent half a dozen more hours in Skyrim. Most of the side quests are done and my character is in the low 30s with nearly maxed out Smithing and One-handed skills. I still have a few Thieves Guild quests to go through, then there's the Dark Brotherhood, a number of Daedra quests, and the College of Winterhold quests. I doubt if I'll complete the College quests since this character isn't a mage. We'll see. Sadly my attention to Skyrim is waning, as I feel that I have already experienced much of what it has to offer.

I almost purchased that Vertex 4 SSD and a GTX 670, but both were out of stock when I went to check out. I was initially frustrated but then reason settled in and I decided not to upgrade after all.

Some friends visited over the weekend and we played a bit of Dead Island, which is always a good time. Then we struggled to get Team Fortress 2 installed and running on our machines. It's ridiculously large at 10GB (for cartoon graphics, come on!) but we eventually got it set up and running after fighting corrupt files and startup failures.

Lo and behold, Mann vs. Machine wait times were 20+ minutes. Frustration mounted higher. We started a local LAN server and, following at least a half hour of software problems, we finally got to play the new game mode. With three players out of the intended six. Pretty fun, but impossible. The farthest we ever got was the third round on one map, then the Tanks showed up. Three players simply cannot deal enough damage quickly enough to beat the Tank, so we were completely stuck and the night pretty much ended there due to wife aggro.

One of the YouTube channels I follow has been posting a lot of Dark Souls content lately, and I'm really anxious to pick up a copy. I want the PC version so I can play at 1080p, but on the other hand I want to play on my couch with a controller on the Xbox 360. The PC version is still $40 since it just came out, but I saw a used 360 copy for $15 last night. I didn't buy it, but I'm sorely tempted. This is a perennial conundrum I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment