Monday, September 24, 2012

Torchlight 2 Outlander Build for Elite Hardcore - WIP

Update: I can't recommend this build above Normal difficulty. It requires so much kiting on Elite Hardcore that it completely bored me out of the character. This build could be viable, however, if you put attribute points into focus instead of strength, then put a few more skill points into poison-based attack skills. The shadowling allies are still pretty useful in this modified build, so don't sacrifice them too much.

Let me begin by emphasizing this build is a work in progress. I have no idea if I'll be able to recommend this build 10 levels from now, let alone at the end of the game. I also don't know if this character will survive long enough to make a reasonable judgement call evaluating the build.

This is my first shot at an Outlander in Elite Hardcore mode. It's based on akimbo ranged weapons with an emphasis on battlefield control, minion summoning, and lots of running away (i.e. poor man's battlefield control).
Torchlight II - Level 17 Outlander on Elite Hardcore
Level 17 Outlander on Elite Hardcore
Meet Kya. For levels 1 - 13 she put three points in Strength, one point in Dexterity, and one point in Vitality. By then I became so fed up with the character's poor DPS that I started pumping all five points into Strength. I intend to settle back into a Strength/Vitality distribution again by level 20 or so.

On the Warfare skill tree I have six skill points in Long Range Mastery and one in Akimbo (soon to be more).

On the Lore skill tree I put one point in Dodge Mastery (soon to be more) and Poison Burst in addition to the point you're given in Glaive Throw. A word on Glaive Throw: I use it a lot. It's one of my primary attacks but I don't see much point in leveling it up because its damage only scales with your character, not the amount of skill points you assign to it.

On the Sigil skill tree I put one point in Shadow Shot, three in Bane Breath, one in Master of the Elements, five in Shadowling Ammo, and one in Death Ritual. This is the most important tree for this particular build. Shadow Shot isn't what I expected, so I don't think I'll level it anymore (I would respec that point if I could, but it was too long ago). Bane Breath is great against crowds of weaker enemies; it basically won the General Grell battle for me. Shadowling Ammo is really powerful when it works. Adding skill points increases your chances of getting a shadowling bat ally, but they don't become stronger unless you level Death Ritual too. Both are a must for this build.

Overall I'm still on the low side DPS-wise but steadily improving. I think I'll find a proper balance within the next few levels. The first 10 levels or so were really challenging and I came uncomfortably close to death multiple times. Since then, however, the character has improved dramatically.

One final tip: make sure you take time to farm and build up your character. It's a life saver.

No comments:

Post a Comment