Friday, February 15, 2013

Weekly Report - 02/15/2013

I've been totally focused on Rage this week. I just reached disc 2 (the game spans three DVDs on the Xbox 360) and Subway Town.

Rage a great game that I think deserves a better rap than it received. It has some technical issues, but not as many as other beloved titles. Texture pop-in is the single most evident issue. If you don't install the game to your hard drive, be prepared for a muddy experience with lots of suddenly resolving textures. This is one game I cannot stand without a hard drive installation. Once you pass that hurdle and get used to the PC-style save system, the game offers a painless experience on the technical side of things.

Moreover, Rage is engaging even though its story is barely skin deep. Why is it so much more interesting than the Black Ops series, I wonder? Perhaps due to the sense of awe and mystery revolving around the Authority and, more importantly, what happened to the world you live in while your body was locked away in that Ark. Rage fails to fully tap into this potential (so does Fallout 3, for that matter), which could have been an incredible post-apocalyptic tale. I always enjoy post-apocalyptic fiction, but it rarely feels complete: too many pieces of the backstory always seem to be missing.

I'm excited to see how Rage ends. My playthrough is intended to accomplish a full completion of the game on nightmare difficulty, including all collectibles, races, and side quests.

No comments:

Post a Comment