Friday, August 3, 2012

Weekly Report - 08/03/2012

Last Saturday I finished Call of Duty 3 on veteran difficulty. I can’t say I didn’t enjoy the experience, but in my opinion this title is the weakest entry in the series. The voice acting is poor and the script is distant and boring. The overall sub-story of World War II being told could be interesting, but the game fails to make lasting, interesting personal connections between characters (or, more importantly, between the player and the characters). Then there’s the cheapness and buggy behavior of the gameplay on veteran, but let’s not go there.

Sunday I completed Prey from beginning to end. The game is shorter than I expected, but I had a lot of fun with it. The characters and storyline were pretty interesting; I’m surprised there isn’t a sequel yet. The gameplay itself was unexpected. The game is a shooter, yes, but moreover the levels (though very linear in nature) are filled with disorienting, gravity-twisting puzzles that rather remind me of the Portal series. I didn’t expect to really like this game, but it’s a short and sweet title that I can now recommend to friends.

So that’s it for my Xbox 360 backlog. I have beaten or completed every game I own for the system. Even though I have other systems with backlogs, I still want to pick up some new 360 games to play: Call of Duty: Black Ops, Dead Space, Dark Souls, and Ghost Recon: Future Soldier to name a few.

On the PC front I still haven’t opened Skyrim. I purchased and started playing Wanderlust: Rebirth, however, and I’m considering myself done with Torchlight. Alas, my VHHC character died to a glitchy hidden monster right at the end. But Torchlight 2 is right around the corner so I feel little need to try again.

2 comments:

  1. Are you planning on going through Prey for "Complete" status? Just wondered if you thought it was worth more than one playthrough.

    I'm looking forward to your posts on Skyrim. I still haven't picked it up. I never seem to play Elder Scrolls games enough to actually warrant buying them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No plans to replay Prey. I'm trying to focus on my neglected systems for a while (PC and DS).

      Delete