Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Weekly Report - 06/14/2013

I've spent the past few weeks in Far Cry 3 and Demon's Souls. Far Cry 3 is pretty refreshing, but it does become stale about halfway through. It's a wide open sandbox world, which is where all the fun is. The shooting and movement mechanics aren't that great - most of the fun in this game is in how you approach various situations.

I found myself growing somewhat bored after defeating the game's initial villain, Vaas. I gathered enough hides and radio towers very early on to craft the important gear I wanted (e.g. expanded holsters), so for the remainder of the game I had no distractions from the rapidly deteriorating storyline missions.

Speaking of storyline missions: my biggest gripe about this game is its "boss fight" mechanic. You typically get stabbed or shot or something, then the screen fades to black. You wake up in a hazy purple fog and are forced through an obnoxious, awkward quick time event sequence. At the end, if you manage to complete the proper button presses, the "boss" dies. It's outrageously unsatisfying, particularly in the case of Vaas, who is a real contender for video game villain of the year...

Post-Far Cry 3 I started in on Demon's Souls. It's a very familiar game to me as a Dark Souls player. It's really neat to see where the latter game gained so much of its inspiration in level design, enemy behavior, and so on. More to come as I progress farther in the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment